Body lotions are low-viscosity topical preparations used to moisturize skin. Body lotions, which are commercially available, contain many harmful chemicals that cause adverse effects, including allergic reactions, difficulty breathing, face swelling, eczema, and water pollution due to hormone disruptions, cancer, and eczema.
Phyto-constituents such as flavonoids, alkaloids, terpenoids, and essential oils, on the other hand, improve skin protection by rejuvenating it, thus preventing aging, UV protection, and skin-related diseases.
Skin is the largest organ in the human body, but we often neglect it from the neck down. Our skin must be properly hydrated to operate correctly. During the winter, our skin requires additional protection if it is typically dry. Our skin loses water from the outer skin layers, causing chapping, cracking, itching, irritation, and even skin disease. To maintain our skin hydrated, we should apply it externally.
The epidermis is the outermost layer of our skin, which is covered by additional layers. Corneocytes are the cells in the Stratum corneum that absorb water and produce lipids to defend it. When we introduce water to our skin, we must also expose it to our skin. . Body lotion serves this purpose.
Through its lower viscosity than cream, body lotion is a low-viscosity topical preparation that moisturizes, beautifies, and shields against UV damage. It is readily absorbed by the skin due to its lower viscosity, leaving a lower greasy residue and working well in winter and during the day. It is critical to ensure that the moisturizing and hydrating natural elements we use in lotions are safe and healthy.
Toxic Chemicals and their side-effects in commercially available Body lotion
It has become increasingly difficult to reproduce and develop in recent years. Environmental chemicals are believed to be a key factor. Phthalates, which are suspected to be toxic to reproduction and development, are present in cosmetics and personal care products in small quantities.
Even though these products are used extensively, the impact of their molecular and microbial diversity on the skin is unknown. We want to soothe dry or ageing skin without using toxic chemicals or harming animals.
Ingredients to avoid in Body Lotion:
- BHA: Butylhydroxyanisole is added to the body lotion for soothing, calming effects and helps in exfoliation. But it is reported to be carcinogenic1, endocrine disruptors and impairs the blood clotting2.
- DMDM Hydantoin:It is found in personal care products, including body lotion. It is an irritant for eyes and skin and causes contact dermatitis. It is an irritant for eyes and skin3 and causes contact dermatitis.
- Parabens: It is a group of chemical preservatives that are widely used in cosmetic products. It is considered as a class of endocrine disruptors. Many studies observed that it chemically imitates the oestrogenic activity leading to adverse health outcomes. Moreover, it could play a role in the development of breast, ovary, and testicular cancer5
- Retinyl Palmitate: Retinyl palmitate, the most controversial form of vitamin A, is a vitamin A derivative that you’ll see in some sunscreens, as well as lotions and creams advertised to have anti-aging properties. A study published by the National Toxicology Program found that mice exposed to retinyl palmitate developed a frightening number of tumors after exposure to sunlight2.
- Triethanolamine (TEA):It is a highly alkaline substance that’s used to balance the pH in various body lotions and cosmetics .It is reported to cause Atopic dermatitis, Cystic fibrosis6 and Carcinogenic7. It is Skin and Respiratory irritant and toxicant to the immune system.
- PEG’s: PEGs (polyethylene glycols) are a family of ingredients derived from petroleum. It functions as emollients (help soften and lubricate the skin), emulsifiers (allow water-based and oil-based ingredients to mix properly), and vehicles that facilitate the absorption of active ingredients. It is reported to cause dermatitis and allergic reactions8.
Safe Natural alternative ingredients for Body Lotion:
- Natural moisturizing and UV protective agents:
- Sodium gluconate
- Glyceryl stearate
- Cetyl Alcohol
- Benzoic acid.
- Natural ingredients to look for
- Aloe vera.
These Natural ingredients are non- toxic and do not hamper skin integrity. Flavonoids like Quercetin9 is the potential antioxidants helps in skin repair, reduce inflammation and Flavones (Apigenin) have protective effects in UVA and UVB induced skin carcinogenesis. Alkaloids have anti-ageing, antimicrobial and antioxidants for lightening discoloration, reducing cellulite and wrinkles10.
Triterpenoids like Betulin and Oleanolic acid have anti-inflammation, promote wound healing11 and anti-aging action. Curcumin protects skin by reducing inflammation through nuclear factor-KB inhibition and quenching free radicals. Curcumin treatment also reduced wound-healing time, improved collagen deposition and increased fibroblast and vascular density in wounds thereby enhancing both normal and impaired wound-healing12. Withanolides, Saponin, deeply cleanse, moisturize, and calm the Skin.
As aging is the process which is accelerated in the areas exposed to Sunlight/ UV Radiation and clinical presentation of photoaging includes dryness of the skin, irregular pigmentation-freckles, lentigines, hyperpigmentation, wrinkling, and inelasticity. These Phyto-constituents showed improving fine lines, wrinkles, pigmentation, and overall appearance.
So,hich is the best Natural Body lotion to Impart Moisturization, to improve Skin Complexion and Prevent from harmful UV Radiation?
Herbcience- Nourishing Pro-V Body lotion -100% Natural and 100% Safe
Herbcience has a scientific approach to all the products. They explain the action in-depth at the Phyto-constituents level of the herbs and help in resolving the issue. These Phyto-constituents present in the body lotion improve skin barrier repair from being exposed to UV radiation, maintain skin’s integrity and appearance by acting as humectants, emollients, and occlusives.
It improves skin hydration and increases stratum corneum water content by directly providing water to the skin from their water phase and increasing occlusion to reduce trans-epidermal water loss, it also covers small skin fissures, provides a soothing protective film, and protects skin from friction.
For the ingredients list and the detailed description, please refer to www.herbcience.com
Herbcience- Nourishing Pro-V Body lotion:
- Curcuminoids, Niacinamide inhibits Tyrosinase activity (which produces Melanin & responsible for dark skin appearance), hence helps as skin whitening agents.
- Fatty acids like Oleic Acid, Linoleic Acid, Palmitic acid, and Stearic acid present in herbs help in moisturizing the skin. Herbal humectants like Shea butter, Olive, Glycerin provides sufficient Hydration to the skin.
- Glycerin, Shea Butter and Fatty Acids form a protective layer on the skin which reflects the UV rays; Antioxidants like Glycosides, Vit E protects the skin from sun rays.
This clearly shows how the product is working on your body with all the herbal nutrients, minerals etc. This Nourishing Pro-V Body lotion is a full pack to protect your skin from UV Radiation and to keep hydrated. They have come up with animations which clearly explains the root cause with a scientific solution linked to herbs. Do check out the video here
Features of Herbcience products:
- 100% Natural, Certified by ECOCERT – COSMOS Natural
- 100% Safe – Compliant with Made Safe
- Scientific Approach to the solution of an issue
- Products developed by a team of expert Ayurvedic Doctors
- Fresh Extraction of Herbs to boost the efficacy of the product
- Only Naturally Derived Preservatives are used.
- 100% Vegan – No animal products are used
- Cruelty Free – Not tested on animals.
Skin being the largest organ which needs utmost care from being destroyed by harmful chemicals, radiations or through seasonal changes. So, maintaining the skin barrier is essential for the functioning of healthy skin.
Current commercial cosmetics available in the market have lots of chemicals like BHA, Parabens, PEG’s which are deleterious leading to Cancer, Reproductive issues, and Allergic reaction. These chemicals not only have a bad impact on the human body, but also on the environment causing water pollution along with death of aquatic animals. Hence, Why toxins? Go for Naturals!
To resolve these issues, Herbcience has come up with Natural solutions with their Personal care products. Why wait? Just go and pick your choice for products from the wide range of personal care products which are 100% Natural and 100% Safe, certified by ECOCERT per Cosmos-Natural and compliant with Made Safe (USA).
Visit their website www.herbcience.com